Monday, July 15, 2013

Jacob's Ladder



I just read Genesis 28:10-22 this morning, and was reminded of a bowl I once painted.  It depicts v. 11-13a:

And [Jacob] came to a certain place and stayed there that night, because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones of the place, he put it under his head and lay down in that place to sleep. And he dreamed, and behold, there was a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven. And behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it! And behold, the Lord stood above it...

My image is painted in a Southwestern Acoma/Mimbres-inspired style.  Mimbres pottery was the first nonwestern art style that I experimented with when I first began painting contextual images.  I think I also had in mind the idea of a Pueblo Kiva, with their ladders ascending to the outside of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment